- Washing up
- 200g butter
- 6 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 400g digestive biscuits
- 100g sultanas
- 200g dark chocolate
- Small microwaveable bowl
- Large bowl
- Small baking tray with sides
- Metal spoon
- Food processor (optional, but handy)
- Crumble the digestive biscuits into the large bowl. They should end up looking like breadcrumbs - not as fine as flour, not as chunky as sugar cubes.
- This is potentially time consuming and messy - you may want to put them in a strong food bag and bash at them with a rolling pin or a brick or something.
- Better yet, whizz them in a food processor if you have one.
- Cut up the butter into the small bowl.
- Pour in the golden syrup.
- Microwave the bowl on high for 2-3 minutes, so that the butter has all melted. Take care with the bowl - it will be hot.
- Add the cocoa powder and stir it in.
- Pour the melted butter mixture into the large bowl.
- Tip in the sultanas.
- Stir it all together so it's mixed up well - careful, it's easy to leave little clumps of un-mixed digestive.
- Line the baking tray with the foil - tuck it in as tight and smooth as possible, so there are no gaps or bumps or ridges!
- Spoon the mixture onto the foil and pack it down to about 1cm thick. Use the back of a metal spoon.
- Clean/replace the small bowl, and break the chocolate into it.
- Microwave the chocolate for about 2 minutes. Keep an eye on it! It's easy to burn the chocolate, and that ruins the whole thing. Stir it every ~20 seconds, and stop when it's all melted.
- Spread the chocolate all over the top of the biscuit mixture. Again, use the back of a spoon.
- Put it in the fridge for an hour or two.
Once it has all set, you can lift it out of the baking tin on the foil, take the foil off, and cut it all up. Try to just eat some, and keep the rest in the fridge.